The Khama Billiat transfer saga has taken another turn, with Kaizer Chiefs finally addressing the issue officially.
The 28-year-old has been in the middle of a media storm, which picked up considerable pace over the last 24 hours, with an official from Mamelodi Sundowns revealing that there has been talks between the two clubs, regarding a potential return to Chloorkop for the player.
The official in question is the Tshwane outfit’s general manager Yogesh Singh, who told local publication Soccer Laduma that there had been ongoing discussions with Amakhosi for quite some time over the transfer window.
“This is a sensitive matter, and we have mutual respect for Kaizer Chiefs – so I won’t be disclosing too much information. But what I can tell you is that we have been in ongoing discussions for some time now about Khama Billiat,” Singh is quoted as saying.
Kaizer Chiefs forced into action
However, Kaizer Chiefs has taken great exception to the comments, and has been prompted into breaking the silence over the saga.
In a statement issued out in the club’s website on Wednesday, the claims made by Singh have been labeled as untrue.
“Kaizer Chiefs would like to put it on record that the information being peddled in the media about the club negotiating with Mamelodi Sundowns is COMPLETELY FALSE AND UNCALLED FOR,” the statement reads.
“We can confirm that there was an approach by Sundowns during the Afcon for the services of Khama Billiat, but we informed them that we are not selling the player. Following that, there have not been any negotiations with the Chairman, Kaizer Motaung or anyone from Kaizer Chiefs as reported in the media.
“We are concerned that the said Sundowns official can misrepresent us in this manner, causing unnecessary confusion and uncertainty to our supporters and stakeholders. We call on him to refrain from spreading false information in the media and respect the rules.
“Khama Billiat is committed to Kaizer Chiefs and is not joining any other club.”
Billiat primed for lengthy Amakhosi stay
Khama Billiat became a Kaizer Chiefs player prior to the start of the 2018/19 PSL season, after his contract with Mamelodi Sundowns came to an end.
He was signed as a free agent by the Glamour Boys, and enjoyed relative success at his new club, finishing as the leading goal scorer in what was a tough season.
Billiat attracted interest from various clubs l, following an impressive showing for Zimbabwe at the Afcon 2019 tournament in Egypt.
Chiefs added that they are considering “taking action” following the reports surrounding the player.
For the full story click here