A 95th-minute strike from Zimbabwean marksman Knox Mutizwa earned Golden Arrows a 2-1 win over Chippa United in a league encounter at the Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

For Abafana bes’Thende head coach Steve Komphela, the victory was an excellent response after his side had lost 5-0 to Bloemfontein Celtic in their previous outing.

Arrows steal it at the death

It leaves the KZN side on six points from three matches, while Chippa have two points from their opening three games of the new season.

Nduduzo Sibiya had given the Durban side the lead on the half-hour mark, but an 81st-minute penalty from Boikanyo Komane gave Chippa hope before Mutizwa came ghosting in at the back post deep in added time with the winner.

After an innocuous start to the game, Chippa began to take control of possession around the 15-minute mark. But the lack of a cutting edge in attack meant the Arrows goal remained unthreatened.

Instead, it was the hosts who were to break the deadlock in the 32nd minute, when after a lovely interchange of passes involving several players down the right, Sibiya drove into the box and curled the ball perfectly in at the far post.

Sibiya could have added a second just two minutes later, but after arriving late in the box to get on the end of a cross, he ballooned the ball over the bar.

The Chilli Boys had an opportunity in the 42nd minute through a Kurt Lentjies free-kick, but home keeper Edmore Sibanda did well to make the save.

The visiting team came out after the restart playing with more purpose, and with Arrows also keen to get a second goal, proceedings opened up nicely, which made for some entertaining, end-to-end action.

As the second half neared the midway point, the visitors began to increase their efforts, and there were two chances in quick succession for Lentjies, but on the first occasion, he was let down by a heavy first touch, while the second attempt resulted in a 20-yard shot veering inches wide of the target.

The pressure was to pay off for Chippa when they were awarded the 81st-minute penalty after Siyabonga Dube was – somewhat harshly perhaps – adjudged to have handled the ball while trying to prevent a cross coming in.

Komane it was who stepped up to take the spot-kick, and he sent Sibanda the wrong way to level up the game.

Then, after squandering a 92nd-minute chance, Mutizwa popped up in the final minute of added time to convert at the back post at the second attempt after Chippa keeper Patrick Tingyemb had saved his initial header from Devine Lunga’s cross.

African News Agency (ANA); Editing by Michael Sherman

For the full story click here